Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Summer Vacation Plans

Hey family,
Here are some of my thoughts about the vacay. I just looked at the days we have and the ideas we have for places we want to see. This itinerary is definitely the "whirlwind tour" in which we would see Philly, Washington DC, the beach in Delaware, New York City and Boston. Phewwww! Okay, here goes:

May 31: We all are there by 12pm on Saturday. We'll be tired since you all are flying through the night. We hang out in Philly for the afternoon or drive straight to the beach where we can relax and recover from the flight.
May 31/June 1st-June 3rd: at the beach in Delaware.
June 3rd: We drive to DC (about 2.5 hours from the beach house?) Spend night of June 3rd in DC.
June 4th: Hang out in DC all day, drive to NYC late afternoon (4 hours from DC to NYC)
Night of June 4th-Morning of June 6th: New York City (Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Ground Zero are some of my interests there)
Night of June 6th: Drive to Boston.
June 7-morning of June 9th: In Boston w/the Siekmeiers. This is over a weekend which might be more convenient for them.
Morning of June 9th: Drive from Boston to Philly (5.5 hour drive)
Afternoon of June 9th and Morning of June 10th: In Philly
Fly out on night of June 10th.

I'd really like to see New York City and since we are flying in and out of Philly it makes sense to me to see some of that. Baltimore is also in there and a cool city...but that makes the list pretty full! I guess we just have to decide if we want to spend more time in fewer places or try to see all of these cities. I'm interested in using public transportation between cities since it might be complicated to always find somewhere to leave a rental car...but public transit with all of us could get complicated too. We also should probably think about whether we want to do more outdoors stuff or city stuff. I think the beach house will give a nice balance. There's just so much to see! Personally, I think this itinerary seems kind of hectic and might end up being stressful since there will no doubt be some hitches in getting in and out of all these huge cities. What are you guys thinking? Like I said, I'd really like to see NYC and I'm really excited about the beach house. Past that I'm not really attached to any other locations.

Love, Jess

Hit comment below here on the blog and provide your perspective.

2 comments:

crazy like Hamlet said...

J,
I like your ideas. I would concur on everything, except I would say we might be able to go from the beach house in southern Delaware to D.C. and (sort of) save a day (of time) and a night (of lodging) by doing that. We might be able to pass through Baltimore, plus we might be able to see a baseball game there, because a Red Sox game is likely too limited and/or pricey.

We might have to decide between DC and NYC.

A colleague at AHS said Philly is nicely concentrated and it would be easy to see lots of key places in short order.

Per transportation, I already looked into renting a vehicle. For a whirlwind tour, that might be necessary. We need to find out what our mass transit options would be in any case. Mass transit was more in line with our original idea of adventure and likely would be cheaper than a car ($500).

Toodles, Padre

Anonymous said...

It is hard for me to say where I want to go since I really don't know anything about these cities. What is in Philly? Outside of the White House what is in DC? I am all about the public transportation. I have never really been on a train and I like sitting near people and hearing them talk. It might also be cheaper, but we'll have to check into that. Well i am going to get back to spring break now. Much love--BEN